Tuesday, 11 July 2017

Still away, but got some fittings

I'm still away from the build working, but have managed to get a few fittings fabricated so I feel like I am still getting stuff done.  Six months and counting to resuming regular scheduled construction/painting.

The original design included plans for having various fittings cast.  I decided that I would take advantage of being overseas to have them fabricated in stainless steel (316).  Below is a shot of the ones produced to date, across the top you have six chainplates with backing plates to match.  Underneath on the left is the stem fitting and then three whisker stay plates (I didn't take a close up of those, they are 6mm.





























The chainplates (one close up below) are all 8mm, you can see the triangular shaped gusset underneath to support the right angle step out then up.  This space is where the gunwale hardwood sits (two holes for attachment) and the very top hole is where the rigging attaches, note the slight bend inwards about 4cm up.  Five bolt holes to go through the bottom of the fitting and a hardwood pad into the hull, then a shaped backing hardwood piece on the inside of hull to spread the load and the stainless backing plate last.  The hardwood pieces will need to match the curves of the hull to give flat surfaces for both the chainplate and backing plate to sit on.


 
The stem fitting is shown below looking from the front side which attaches to the forward side of the stem.  The front, rear and flat section on top are all 10mm, the upright plate in the middle is 8mm and goes through the bowsprit.
 





































Below shows the inside face which will be on the inside of the stem under the bowsprit in the anchor well, where there is a small lower deck section in front of frame one.






































Below is from the side showing the 8mm upright piece that goes through a slot cut in the bowsprit.  Note the holes for attaching rigging at the top edge.  Note also the slope to match the one already cut on top of the stem according to the plans.

 

More fittings underway for the rudder, I'll post pictures when I get them.  Looking forward to getting back underway soon!

Sunday, 15 January 2017

Waiting for my return - pictures

Thought I would drop a few pictures in for those who stop by to check in vain for progress.  See the previous post, but I am thinking about things I can work on remotely such as a wiring plan.

Below is a picture from the port side:


A close one showing the portholes just sitting in place to keep out unwanted visitors:



And a shot of the painted main hatch garage.  I put the grab handles on the side with epoxy and some massive 14 gauge screws.  It is easy to reach leaning in from the sloping side decks and avoided any holes through the cabin roof.  We will see how it goes but feels solid so far.


More news when I have some!

Thursday, 12 January 2017

2017 - still on a building break

Just a quick update after a few concerned questions about the build.  I'm currently working away from home, so no progress to speak of other than building up some boat dollars and a lot of motivation to get this thing in the water.

The portholes are sitting in place blocking any unwanted visitors making a home in there, I'll let you know when we resume.  May be able to squeeze in some work on one of my longer breaks at home in a month or two.