Tuesday, 4 November 2014

Cabin sides and roof on

I have a cabin, and it is really starting to look like a boat!  At least the front two thirds anyway.....

Last post I had just put on the cabin front and the supports for the roof.  I continued with the air boxes/lockers each side putting the fronts in place, with generous epoxy fillets.  Below shows the fronts on, and the insides where it steps back for the mast tabernacle.

From overhead showing the insides of the vent boxes:

And a close up from the sides.  It is hard to make out but air comes in on the left where the round hole is, is forced down by the first ply (there is a gap underneath but it doesn't look like it), travels up over the top of the second ply and continues into the cabin through the right side second hole.

The cabin sides are two layers of 9mm ply, screwed on 100mm centres into the bottom and top carlines (I think they are called) and into the frames where extra wood has been added.  Sorry for the poor focus, this is the starboard side epoxied and screwed in place.  You can just make out the screws along the botttom.

The laminated curve beam needed a curved knee.  The plan called for making it out of laminated strips and cutting it to shape.  I decided that I would match the other existing knees which were two pieces of 20mm thick hoop pine.  I made the knee first, the forward one below and notched it into an existing space I had accidentally left (I had used a short piece of lamination on the bottom of the curved beam).  The knee sits underneath the beam supporting it.

I started to make a second identical knee which would continue up to the top of the beam and be epoxied to both,  As I was about to cut it out I decided it would make a perfect place for a grab point, and also match the ones near the galley.  So I cut out a hand hold and left it.  When I attached the sides I put three screws into each part of the knee from the outside of the cabin side and screwed the top down into it as well.

Below is the port side of the cabin screwed, epoxied and filleted in place, with clamps as well looking aft.  If you look closely along the bottom edge, just back from the front you will see a drain hole from the deck locker/air vents to allow water to drain over the side.  The camber of the deck should assist nicely.

And looking forward a bit closer showing the screws and fillets.  Vertical screws at the rear are off set to they don't hit the ones on the rear of the cabin.  Part way down you can just make out the six screws into the knees, and all the way forward the vertical screw lines into the frames and deck box front supports.

Then it was time to close in the roof, for me a very exciting progression.  The roof is two layers of 6mm ply.  Below is the middle section of the first layer epoxied and screwed in place.  Clamps only at the rear, more on that later.

The cabin was too wide at the rear for a single sheet, so I decided to have the first layer in three pieces so the final layer I could have two larger pieces joined down the middle.  This means no overlapping joins, and I can fibreglass tape the join on the final layer as well.  It appears the designer has taught me something from the hull and deck as this seemed very familiar.

Once that was done, out came the trusty electric plane and belt sander for a "minor finesse" of the cabin sides to match the existing slope on the solid wood.  Below is looking forward on the starboard side.

Then I cut out, drilled and countersunk the pieces for each side and stuck them on.

I thought I'd taken a photo of the first layer in place but couldn't find it.  Looks the same as the ones of the second layer anyway.  Below is looking aft, the cut out at the rear is for an access hatch into the cabin  Note the join down the centreline which will be taped later.  All screw holes are also filled with left over epoxy.

A slightly closer look, forward space between the vent holes is where the mast tabernacle goes as I said before.

And a shot looking forward.  I put screws all around the hatch space on the final layer, I have to build the hatch so wanted to leave plenty of space between them for screwing into for that.  Had to move my fluorescent light inside, it's getting darker in there!

I've borrowed a pot to melt my lead in for the keel cast, while I sort out the remainder of the lead and psych up I will look at maybe taping the hull/deck, cabin/deck, cabin sides/top and cabin centreline joins.

No comments:

Post a Comment